The Chinese Communist Party Central Committee United Front Work Department and its functional analogues, like the propaganda, and the political and legal affairs committees exists at every level of Communist Party organization in China. The structures are mirrored all the way down reporting to both the local Party leader and the corresponding functional organization at higher levels. That is a county level functional organization reports to both the local party leader and to the corresponding functional organization at the next higher level. So a county party propaganda unit would report to both the local party leader and to the propaganda unit at the next higher level of organization — that could be a regional level or provincial level.
Chengdu: United Front Work at the Local Level in China
For example the Sichuan Provincial Communist Party Committee also has a United Front Work Work Department. Their website is at http://www.sctyzx.gov.cn/ The Communist Party Committee of Chengdu, the provincial capital, also has a UFWD which handles topics such as religious and minority affairs, contacts with people who are within the PRC but outside of the mainland area — considered to be Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan — as well as foreigners, intellectuals outside the Chinese Communist Party, and relations with the (marginal) political parties allowed to exist that are “under the leadership of the Communist Party”.
To get into more detail on UFWD work at the local level, here is a translation of part an article on the work Chengdu City Communist Party Committee UFWD 中共成都市委统战部 is described on the Baidu online encyclopedia at 中共成都市委统战部 :
The Chengdu City Committee of the Communist Party of China is responsible for coordinating, supervising and inspecting the work of the united front of the city; organizing the implementation of the principles and policies of the central and provincial and municipal governments on the united front, and investigating the theory and principles and policies of the united front; carrying out united front work and suggestions; check the implementation of the united front policy, take the lead in coordinating the handling of major issues in united front work, the management of relevant cadres, the organization of the united front of the major activities and other related work.
(1) to coordinate, supervise and inspect the united front work of the entire city; to organize the implementation of the principles and policies of the CPC central, provincial and city committees on the united front, and to inform the Chengdu CPC committee about the comprehensive situation of the united front; to offer opinions and suggestions to the CPC city committee on united front work; to monitor the implementation of united front policy, take the lead in coordinating the handling of major issues in united front work, the management of relevant cadres, the organization of the united front of the major activities.
(2) to be responsible for contact with the democratic parties and people not affiliated with any party, to keep abreast of their situation and to pass along their opinions and suggestions; to study and implement the multi-party cooperation and political consultation system under the leadership of the Communist Party of China and the policies and policies of the democratic parties; Provincial and municipal governments on the work of democratic parties and non-partisan representatives to participate in political affairs and democratic supervision of the work of the municipal government with the political parties to do a good job in organizing political relations; on behalf of the city party committee, inform the democratic parties, non-partisan about the thinking of the city party committee; to support and help the democratic parties to strengthen their own construction, selection, training a new generation of representatives; to help the relevant departments to help democratic parties to improve working conditions.
(3) To be responsible for investigating, coordinating and examining major policies and policies on ethnic and religious work; responsible for making arrangements and presenting to the leadership groups of patriotic religious groups; to contact representatives of ethnic minorities and religious circles; to assist the relevant departments on the training of national minority cadres and work recommendations; lead responsibility for coordinating the relevant departments to deal with national and religious work in the major issues.
(4) to be responsible for carrying out united front work in the area of reunification of the motherland; to contact Hong Kong, Macao and overseas associations and representatives; to manage the work with Taiwan’s opposition parties and political groups; to assist relevant departments in their work with the representatives of companies from foreign countries and HK/Macao/Taiwan companies investing in the city; do work related to Taiwan compatriots and Taiwan affairs; organize and coordinate overseas friendship activities; and manage foreign affairs work within the system.
(5) to be responsible for the political arrangements for non-party people; do perform well its task of giving counsel to non-party members who serves as representatives to the People’s Congresses, to Chinese People’s Consultative Congress, and to the city government as well as to make arrangements for non-party members doing historical or literary research; to work together with the relevant departments to do a good job training, inspection, selection, of non-party members to government and judiciary leadership positions; do a good job outside the reserve cadres and the new representative team building work; on behalf of the Chengdu City Communist Party Committee to lead the inter-party group of the city united industrial and commercial organization; commissioned by the municipal government, leading the Municipal Federation of Industry and Commerce; lead the party organization of the Municipal Socialism Institute; to assist the non-CPC Democratic Party municipal Party committee and the Federation of Industry and Commerce to do a good job in managing their cadres; coordination and guidance of the Municipal Bureau and the Municipal Overseas Chinese Affairs Office work; contact, guide the united front groups and people groups (including Taiwan compatriots Association) ; to help other city departments involved in united front work to select their cadres; to assist the relevant departments manage the united front work department leader at the city district and county subordinate to Chengdu city levels of united front work.
The Financial Times recently ran an article about the United Front Work Department of the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Committee. The CPC CC’s United Front Work Department sponsors activities all over the world through instrumentalities like the Hanban that operates the Confucius Institute cultural institutes that are being incorporated into the bodies of many institutions of higher learning around the world.
In July, the Jamestown Foundation published Marcel Angliviel de la Beaumelle’s
“The United Front Work Department: “Magic Weapon” at Home and Abroad” (Jamestown China Brief Volume: 17 Issue: 9)
This seems only fair with the outside world working so hard these days to influence China and Chinese people. Some of those foreign influences being quite influential — consider Marx, Engels and Lenin, though they are today in China anyways not thought to be poisonous weeds. China is working on its “soft power” so the influences will be more of a two way street.
I Ran Into the Propaganda Department While Eating a Hamburger at MacDonald’s in Kunming! 我在昆明麦当劳吃汉堡时候碰到宣传部！
Highlights of 2003 “Practical Manual for Party Propaganda Work”
In 2007 I bought the 2003 edition of the “Practical Manual for Party Propaganda Work” in a Kunming bookstore. Wouldn’t you know it, I was innocently munching a hamburger in a Kunming MacDonald’s nearby and starting reading it. The fellow next to me was looking at me with a surprised look on his face. Turns out that that fellow was from the local Communist Party Propaganda Department. A practicioner you would have to say. He told me that book is much too abstract and really isn’t of any use! 我2007年在昆明新华书店逛书的时候偶尔看到2003年红旗出版社出的“党宣传工作试用手册“。因为我对中国媒体制度，对中国怎么抵抗从我们美国来的精神污染感兴趣，我买了一本。我到了附近的麦当劳一边吃汉堡，一边吸收党的路线。当然因为我很难脱离资本主义社会中产阶级思想，我读了比较慢。座在我旁边的人看我，好像我奇怪的样子。他自我介绍，说他是昆明市党委宣传部门的工作人员。他说你读的那本太抽象，没有用。他介绍他的宣传工作。
More at https://gaodawei.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/%E6%88%91%E5%9C%A8%E6%98%86%E6%98%8E%E9%BA%A6%E5%BD%93%E5%8A%B3%E5%90%83%E6%B1%89%E5%A0%A1%E6%97%B6%E5%80%99%E7%A2%B0%E5%88%B0%E5%AE%A3%E4%BC%A0%E9%83%A8%EF%BC%81/